Tuesday, January 22, 2019

There Will Be Lies by Nick Lake

This month's Book Club selection was There Will Be Lies by Nick Lake. There are so many surprises during this book, and I do not want to ruin any of them. The main character, Shelby lives with her mom and appears to be very sheltered. They rarely speak to anyone, and Shelby's mother has always told her to fear men. When Shelby is hit by a car, her mother's behavior becomes very strange...She pays for the hospital bills in cash, and they flee from home with Shelby's mother explaining that the father Shelby thought was dead actually wants to kill Shelby. Shelby starts to question if everything is truly as it seems or if her mother could be telling lies. While all of this is going on Shelby starts to have several dreams which gives the book a weird turn. Other readers have complained that the book would have been better without the dream sequences. I actually liked the twist and wanted to figure out the connection between Shelby's real world and her dream world.


1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this book as well. At first the "dreaming" threw me off and I didn't love the fact that it made this book more like a fantasy or even magical realism, but as it got closer to the end I realized the dreaming chapters were necessary to really understand what was going on in Shelby's mind. I definitely had a few moments where my mouth dropped, so overall, this is a book I highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete

Crown of Pearl and Pearl by Mara Rutherford

Twin sisters, Sadie and Nor have spent the majority of their young lives preparing for the opportunity to be chosen to marry the Prince of I...